Friday, January 18, 2008

Fiesta Casserole

Ok, so I know casseroles are not included, but we may have to make an exception for this one. This recipe is in a new cookbook my dad gave Maren and I for Christmas. I made it a little different but let me start by giving you the recipe as the book says:

3 cups chicken broth
2 cups instant rice
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 (15.5 oz) can of black beans, rinsed
1 1/2 cups salsa
1 Tbsp tabasco
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 cups shredded cheese
6 oz Fritos, crushed to course crumbs
lime wedges for serving

Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 450. Combine broth, rice, corn, beans, salsa and tabasco. Pour into 9 x 13 baking dish and bake for 15 minutes. Then stir in chicken and sprinkle cheese evenly over the top, then sprinkle Fritos evenly over the top. Bake until edges are bubbling and crumbs are toasted, about 8 to 12 mintues longer. Serve with lime wedges.

Ok, so that is the original, let me give you Shannon's version. So, I really don't like rice with my Mexican food so I left out the rice and only added about a cup or so of the chicken broth for the beginning bake. I also am weak and therefore left out the tabasco but instead I added a Tbsp or so of chopped cilantro (which I love!!!). From there the rest of the bake is the same but we washed up a bunch of leafy greens to place our servings of the casserole on. I am telling you it was delicious and the Fritos crushed on top were awesome! Heads up though, this does not serve as well for left overs because the fritos aren't crunchy.

1 comment:

Maren said...

I made the original recipe and it was delicious, without all the changes! I was thinking it would be a delicious on tortillas if you didn't add the chips on top.